How can I make my boyfriend leave my house legally?

He doesn't want to leave but he isn't paying any rent and not contributing to the household financially.

There is really no quick, simple answer to this one without making it a "combination plan". In short:
1) If he can be considered a tenant/squatter, serve him paperwork for eviction.
2) While he's pondering where to move, make his life unbearable.
3) Always have friends over in case he gets pissed off, and call the police as appropriate.
4) Hope he gets the point and leaves.


1) Move your possessions to storage while he's gone for a few hours
2) Stay at a friend's house
3) Cancel the lease and utilities
2) Move without telling him where you're going

In the end, a "room mate" situation is a horrible one to try to end, and will usually cause massive issues for both parties before it's over. Rather than focus on efforts to remove a potentially pissed off person from the place you sleep at night, simply get out and shut everything down. Tossing out his stuff can be illegal, fighting with him can be illegal, doing odd or perverse things to him or around him can be illegal.

When all is said and done, avoid dealing with a pissed off ex you're telling to leave is always advisable. After all, if someone was pissed off at you, would you hand them the key to your home?
You have to evict him, same as any stranger who rents a room. You cannot change the locks, call the cops on him, put his stuff out, or any of the other vindictive things people do to get rid of someone. Those will all cost YOU money in court.

You have to go to the courthouse and file for eviction. The judge will give him a certain amount of time to vacate. Anything else is illegal.

EDIT: It makes no difference, whatsoever, if his name is on the lease or not. You broke your lease when you allowed someone to move in without the landlord's permission, if that's what happened. In any case, if his stuff is there, he gets mail there, he has no other residence, etc, he is just as much a tennant as you are, paying the bills or not.

Restraining orders are for personal protection. They are not a vehicle to evict someone. Just like changing the locks, if you file a false report in order to obtain a restraining order, he can sue you.

You cannot call the police to remove someone who lives at your house unless they have committed violence or you have REASON to fear that they will.

You let the deadbeat move in. He's your deadbeat now. You can get him out, but you have to do it legally or you leave yourself open to paying him in court. Just be calm, cool, and adult about it and give him a 30 day notice to vacate. The law doesn't allow you to throw someone out in the street without giving them ample time to make other arrangements.

Every single answer that mentions the lease is absolutely, 100%, no question in my mind, sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, DEAD WRONG. He is basically a month to month sub-let tennant. You cannot change the locks under any circumstance until a court has ordered him to vacate. PERIOD!
If he is not on the lease call the police.
Perhaps you could get a restraining order. Tough situation.
if his name is not on the lease,call the police/go to courthouse
If he is not on the lease you can change the locks on your doors. Throw his belongings out side . well you can at LEAST pack this things and place them somewhere outside/garage. or... you can just shut down your electric/cable and what not until he starts paying etc. That'll mean you'd have to go sometime with out modern convenience and you can live the life of college dorm student who only has non parishable foods and live off that so he doesn't eat your food etc... but that's to extream way to go, but I had a friend that did that... and it worked... the 'friend' ended up paying for things. I mean, I don't agree with the first peson because if he's not on the lease then you have every right to get rid of a person that you don't want there.
If this guy isn't on the lease, then just kick him out. If he won't go, call the police.
Unless you live in New York, Kick his worthless butt out.
kick him to the curb
Give him 7 days notice to vacate in front of witnesses. If you are really pissed , pack his stuff and put it on the lawn. You are responsible for his belongings untill he gets home so make sure it doesn't get stolen or damaged.
if he is a guest ask him to leave and then call the cops, he is trespassing if he has been asked to leave and then doesn't.

If he is renting a room , or is on a lease then you have to evict him for non-payment of rent.

The police should be able to tell you what to do to get him out.
If he has nowhere else to go, just tell him you will allow him to stay for a couple weeks - so he can find himself a new place to stay - write it down to make it sound even more official - and give it to him. When the time comes - wait until he goes out somewhere and then change the locks. He isn't married to you - and he pays no rent - so he has absolutely no right to stay there.

Call and arrange a time when he can come and pick up his belongings - then just before he arrives put them neatly outside in boxes on the doorstep. A good idea is to have a friend [preferably a male] stand and guard his things so nobody else comes along and takes anything away - that person can then hand his stuff over - and will also be able to act as a witness for you if necessary.

Make sure you put out all of his stuff though - so he has no reason to come back later and accuse you of trying to steal anything. Good luck. :-)
The first answer is most likely correct. The law will define how long your boyfriend has to have lived in the house before he has rights. I suspect you wouldn't have asked before that time elapsed.
Shat on his bed,
Get a Barking Dog,
Pee in his Pepsi,
Put Salt on his Sheet,
Play a song he hates (loudly) over and over again,
Give Oral sex to strange men just as he arrives home,
Have Butt sex in the living room with a friend,

These in combination usually work within a few days.

The Answers post by the user, for information only, FreeLawAnswer does not guarantee the right.
Answer question:

More Questions and Answers: