Can I sue the United States Postal Service?

Serious question. Here is a little background:

My family moved into a new house at the beginning of January. I filled out a change of address form at the time, and I went in the post office to let them know that we were the new residents.

Since then, we are failing to receive SOME of our mail. I say "some" because we receive certain magazines, certain statements, some bills... What I do not receive are:
Blockbuster online movies (a service I pay for each month). Blockbuster ships movies one day, and then about 5 days later it shows as being returned back. I never get them.

My wife had a social security card that never made it, even though we both applied at the same place on the same day and I received mine. So one is missing somewhere.

There was one instance of a medical bill that ended up in collections because I never received the statement and didn't know it was out there.

I opened an account with a credit union, and haven't received my account data.

Can I sue??

cool your jets it ain't no bigee
Probably not. Most governmental agencies have tort protection and cannot be sued unless they agree to be sued. Not likely the USPS would agree to let you sue them.
My guess is they'll stamp you out first.
You can sue them but they might go postal on you.
As far as Blockbuster, I've had issues with them before. They have really bad service and is known for duping customers.
You should go to the post office and talk to the carrier that delivers your mail. In our town, each carrier sorts their own mail that goes out for delivery. Maybe your route has alot of substitutes on it, or your new place use to be a rental with alot of different renters. I would start with talking with the carrier first. And please remember that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

In order to sue the post office, remember that they have a ton of money for lawyers and you don't. Also remember that you would have to prove in federal court that they are the culprits. And they might not be. Even if it is their mistake, you would have to prove it.

You might want to get a post office box. If this is not practical, you really do need to talk to the carrier. They can explain how and where the mail gets separated. You also should not rely soley on change of address cards, but follow up with everyone who sends you mail and make sure they have the new address on file. And you might also want to mail yourself a letter from the next town over and see what happens to that letter.

The main key to solving the problem is becoming friends with your carrier. They can tell you everything you need to know. I am friends with my carrier and make sure she is very happy (a box of cookies at Christmas, offers of a cold drink if I see her during a hot summer day, etc.). My carrier has my back. I have a post office box also and she will let me know if I have mail in my box, etc./when she will be on vacation and who the sub will be, etc. etc. Trust me, become friends with whomever delivers the mail to your house. They are a wealth of information of what goes on inside the post office and they can help straighten out any problem you are having.
have you talked to the post master there & if so what happened ?
thats not some kind of magic...the change of address....your suppose to contact everybody you want to have know your new address, in a timely manner..if you dont want confusion w/ the mail delivery.What a lazy-@ss
I believe you certainly *can* sue them, just like you can sue the government. However, it'd probably be expensive, like any lawsuit. It may also be difficult to prove damages unless you have some pretty good proof of your complaints, who you made them to, and when you made them.

Since talking with your local post office hasn't worked, I'd suggest escalating in the following order:
1) Calling USPS Customer Service: 1-800-275-8777
2) File a Mail-Not-Received report:
3) Write to the Consumer Advocate office of the USPS:
Consumer Advocate
475 L'Enfant Plaza SW
Washington DC 20260-2200
'My family moved into a new house at the beginning of January. I filled out a change of address form at the time, and I went in the post office to let them know that we were the new residents. '

This has nothing to do with your not receiving the mail that you are complaining about. If Blockbuster (and everybody else) has your new address, the change of address has nothing to do with it.

You don't state it anywhere, but do you live in a condo or apartment complex? I have many condo/apartment dwellers on my route that do not include their full address when filling out their address info to mailers. That mail would be returned 'insufficient address'.

Is your name on your mailbox? If so, the carriers are delivering all of the mail addressed to you. There is no reason to hold anything back... unless...
you live in the Denver area. In that area the USPS has contracted out deliveries to the highest bidder. There have been documented cases in which contract carriers have been stealing DVDs sent out by Blockbuster and Netflix. They have been arrested.
The letter carriers union is trying to get Congress to outlaw 'contracting out', for reasons such as these.

The Answers post by the user, for information only, FreeLawAnswer does not guarantee the right.
Answer question:

More Questions and Answers: