Can you sue the police dept. or city for not protecting you or stopping someone from terrorizing you.?

Short answer: NO! This was ruled on by the Supreme Court:
The police have NO obligation to protect an individual. You can try to file a claim, then sue, in that order. Just remember, you have to have their PERMISSION to sue them!
Click on "edit" and explain what you are talking about.
You can sue anyone you want. Whether you have a chance of winning is another matter!
They cant gurantee u dude. How can u sue them ?
put some donuts out on your lawn
You can sue anyone.

You won't be successful in your lawsuit, as the police are under no obligation to protect individuals - only society at large. This has been proven through the courts and is case law.

Calif Deputy
If you depend on the "police" to protect you, you're in trouble. What they do is write a report after the event.
you didn't give us much to go on, but based on what little you said, it sounds like a total waste of time.
Ask the truck driver who was dragged from his truck in Watts during the riots and was being beaten and stomped and over 100 cops and firemen were within 100 feet, none offered to help, civilians dragged him out, he sued the city of Los Angles, the courts ruled the police are not obligated to protect you, they are there to enforce the law? and all of this time I thought it was against the law to drag a person form his automobile and beat and kick him,hmmm? I guess that means it is only Illegal if the cops can arrest you if they are perfectly safe,?? they can damn sure shoot you so many times you will look like a pin cushion,again as long as they can do it without getting hurt themselves,
Ask Rodney King.
The Supreme Court recently ruled on this and said the police to not have a duty to protect or a duty to enforce protection orders. The case originated out of Colorado Springs, Colorado. You can sue the police if you like, but under Supreme Court precedent, your case will likely fail.

The Answers post by the user, for information only, FreeLawAnswer does not guarantee the right.
Answer question:

More Law Questions and Answers: