Where do I file complaint against a doctor?

I was in the emergency room this afternoon for vertigo. I told the doctor that I was breastfeeding as well as pregnant. He called my OB and THEY decided on which medication I should have. An hour and a half AFTER I took it, the ER dr thinks to tell me that "O by the way, you can't breastfeed your son while taking that". AFTER leavign teh hospital and doign my OWN research it is nto that that medicine will harm my son it is that is has a good potential of drying up my milk.
My OB and this ER doctor took it upon themselves to make this decision for me without discussing this factor with me. It may seem like nothing to some, but I overcame a LOT of obstacles to be able to nurse my son and it is IMPORTANT to me.
I know how to contact administration at that hospital but who do I make my complaint with about my OB (private office)? If I do not feel satisfied with the response from the hospital about the ER dr, who do I speak with next?

I found this info on the American Medical Association's website...hope it helps!!

Q: How do I file a complaint against a physician?

First, try to identify whether the conduct was unethical.

The first step in filing a complaint is to determine whether the physician has acted unethically or unprofessionally. Opinions in the AMA’s Code of Medical Ethics may be one way to determine this. The AMA and its Code of Medical Ethics have always maintained that physicians should provide competent medical care with compassion and with respect for patients. The AMA’s Council on Ethical and Judicial Affairs (CEJA) has developed guidelines for physicians who strive to practice ethically. Fundamental Elements of the Patient-Physician Relationship, Opinion 10.01, outlines in general what the AMA believes to be the ethical basis of all interactions and relationships between physicians and patients. We hope it clearly articulates what the medical profession believes you can and should expect from physicians when you seek medical treatment.

Other Opinions of the Code of Medical Ethics may be accessed online by searching through the broad topic categories found in the table of contents.

Additionally, you may wish to contact one or more of the medical specialty societies. The AMA serves as an umbrella organization representing all state medical and national specialty societies. When a particular concern is related to psychiatry or surgery, for example, the specialty association may have policy or practice guidelines that are specific to that concern. Click here to view a PDF file of such organizations (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader).

Next, take action.

Once you have determined that unethical or unprofessional conduct has occurred, there are a number of recommended steps you may choose to take. First, you may want to approach your physician and explain your concerns. Second, you may choose to report the behavior to another physician who works with your physician or who has treated you or a member of your family. Also, a number of hospitals and group practices have grievance mechanisms in place for patients to lodge complaints.

Other avenues for addressing complaints include the state medical society or licensing board. These organizations have appropriate investigative bodies at the local level that can review physicians’ conduct. If appropriate, the licensing board can take disciplinary action against a physician’s license to practice medicine. Click here for contact information of the licensing boards and state medical societies in all 50 states.

Q: What if my complaint is not against a physician, but rather a hospital, health plan, or non-physician health professional?

If your concern is related to a hospital or healthcare organization, you may wish to contact the American Hospital Association (AHA) or the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO).

If your concern is related to a health plan or health insurer, you may wish to contact America’s Health Insurance Plans (AHIP).

If your concern is related to a non-physician health care professional (e.g., dentist, psychologist, optometrist, podiatrist, nurse), you should contact the professional association that represents that specific health care professional. Also, most states require that all health professionals be licensed. Your state medical licensing board should be able to direct you to the department that regulates these professionals in your state.
state medical board....

The Answers post by the user, for information only, FreeLawAnswer does not guarantee the right.
Answer question:

More Questions and Answers: