What are the laws regarding what an ex employer can say about an ex employee in an employment verification?

Apotential employer informed me that my soon to be ex employer gave me a bad reference. It was personal and unprofessional. Whats are my rights?
Answer:   I use to work for a background screening company and by law (california) employers could not say anything negative about an employee. It could be a major lawsuit.
An employer can pretty much say anything about you whether it is negative or positive as long as it is true and documented. But, a lot of employers tend to stay away from doing that and only give dates and title of employment because of frivilous lawsuits, libel, slander, etc...
you have to contact a lawyer, you have a case, good luck.
P bam hit this one right on the head.. Employers are granted a privilege in this regard...
It depends....If your potential employer asked about your attendance, for example, and your ex employer said you missed quite a few days and was late a lot they are not violating anything if this is true. If they make false statements and/or just bad mouth you that is against the law. So, they should answer any direct questions but if they have nothing good to say then they shouldn't say anything at all.This also depends on what state you are from. I am not sure if there are federal guidelines to go by.

If I were you I would just look for something else and most places will ask if they can contact your present employer and tell them no. This will eliminate any badmouthing from your employer.
If what they told was true, you have the right to look for another job.

They can tell them anything they want, as long as all the facts are true. If they are telling something that is not true, then you may sue them
If you think your past employer lied about you, you can sue them for slander and hurting your reputation.

But, if they can document what they said, then you have no case.

That's why alot of companies only provide date's of employment and salary history.

The Answers post by the user, for information only, FreeLawAnswer does not guarantee the right.
Answer question:

More Questions and Answers: