Can you sue someone for lying about you? This resulted in a 1 day suspension from work .?

A lady at work lied and told my manager that I called her some foul names. I did not and even have a witness that I did not. I told my manager this but she chose not to believe me or the witness. I missed a whole days work. This is in my file for 2 years and I am a registered nurse and it will follow me wherever I go to work. I really did not say it and the I just can't believe people can make stuff up and ruin a person's character for no good reason. I went to our H.R. department and tried to grieve it but they said it was past the 5 day mark in our policies. I just do not beieve she should be able to get away with it. Thanks Laurie

Sure you can ... u can sue her for defamation (slander) .. the higher reputation u hold .. the higher amount you may succeed for the claim of damages .. but 1st you need to gather a strong evidence that her word had cause a bad reputation on you and it was her who said the word.
Yes you can sue..It is called defamation of character.
you might want to talk yo a lawyer regarding slander.
Just quit your job and become a housewife. That way you won't have to deal with such petty nonsense. And to answer the question; you can sue anybody over anything, but that doesn't mean you'll win.
Probably not. While they are false accusations, you might have trouble finding someone who'll actually help you take that to court.
The problem with your case is the simple fact that it will be difficult to assign a monetary value to the damage that you may have received as a result of these remarks. Personally, I think it is best just to let this one slide. One mark on an otherwise clean permanent record will not cause employers to turn you away.
it is called defamtion of character, talk to a lawyer since this will follow you. Most of the time the company will pay you not to take this to court. Then make sure your records have been changed.
Hi Laurie
I hope you are a union member. That is a serious offense. I suggest you talk to your lawyer and see what he can advise you. And yeah I believe that you can sue that person. He/she needs to know that she/he cant get away with it. There should be a proper investigation before any suspension done.
i really dont think she should get away with it either if u have a witness and u really didnt say it u should sue because it could probably effect many things in your career i dont know if u can but i dont see why not

That stinks but you have little chance of winning a lawsuit and even if you did, hiring a lawyer would make you a loser monetarily. Sometimes you just have to grin and bear it. Chin up!
You can sue the person for Defamation of Character.

Under Section 499 of Penal Code. Whoever, by words either spoken or intended to be read, or by signs, or by visible representations, makes or publishes any imputation concerning any person, intending to harm, or knowing or having reason to believe that such imputation will harm, the reputation of such person, is said, except in the cases hereinafter excepted, to defame that person.

The Answers post by the user, for information only, FreeLawAnswer does not guarantee the right.
Answer question:

More Law Questions and Answers: